Sunday, August 26, 2012

No Day But Today - An Inspiration Post

Sometimes all we need is a little push to get going, right?  A little inspiration.

Whether it be coffee or a Redbull to jump start your morning...

OR friends and family who care enough for you to encourage you to follow your goals...

OR complete strangers who unintentionally inspired you by deciding to live a healthier lifestyle and document their success in the process.

I can remember being a teenager, probably 14-15 years old and noticing that with my womanly body changes, I could no longer eat what I wanted and not participate in gym class and not see the negative effects on my body.  My mid section has never showed that I have any muscles, my thighs used to be very strong and shapely from my earlier days of dance class, but now they just jiggle and have no definition.  I am sore almost daily and I used to think that this was normal.  Getting older involves more pains in places you didn't know could hurt and stiff and sore more often than not.  Well allowing myself the time to research and speak with some online friends and some "real life" friends, I've learned that this is not the case.  This is not "the normal"  This is just a result of not taking care of myself!  There are people in their 60's who don't wake up with as much pain as I do on a daily basis.  Something has to give!

Well ladies and gents, today is a new day and it's time for ME to turn over a new leaf!  Shortly after my 27th birthday, I got my 3rd tattoo.  It's on my foot, it's a picture of 3 butterflies and it has one of my favorite quotes (and songs) ever.  It's a quote from the Broadway musical RENT.  A quote that was to be my daily reminder to live everyday like it's my last, to not procrastinate on my self and life goals because tomorrow is never promised.

"No Day But Today"



Sadly I have been procrastinating and not been living by my own motto.  Well this changes today.  For the longest time I have had every intention to slowly work my way toward my goals of quitting smoking (yes it's a bad habit, I've been on and off from since I was 15) losing weight, getting into shape, have a healthy lifestyle, finish my college degree and write again.  I have been mentally ready, but never put the hard work into it.  I'm not saying I'm never going to eat another cupcake again in my life, but I am just going to make better eating decisions and really take control on what I put into my body.  I have always started and stopped.  Started and stopped.  And frankly I am tired of the vicious 'starting and stopping' cycle, so I am going to stop stopping!  One week ago I quit smoking again (I did NOT smoke while I was pregnant) and this time for good.  I have not had hardly any cravings because I believe I am mentally beyond ready to be QUIT FOREVER.  Now that I've quit smoking, I feel like I can finally put my lungs to GOOD use and start running, like I've wanted to do for 3 years now.  I have a treadmill, I bought fancy running shoes and have only gone running maybe a handful of times.  Not Good.  But today...I started.  I have made progress.  I wanted to actually run, but because I was on "baby duty" while Justin was working overtime and I don't yet have a jogging stroller...I used my motivation and walked.  I walked 2.27 miles while pushing a stroller!  That is a great start for me!  Yeah it took me awhile, but with neighborhood traffic and Annaliese dropping her sippy cup often it was hard to keep a steady pace, but I did it!  I just need to keep up that momentum and finally do what I've been wanting to do!



And let me tell you I didn't get to this point by myself.  I had help.  There have been a few inspirations lately that have given me the will power to finally do it.  I guess I'll start with thanking NIKE - "Just Do It".  Haha!  Ok but jokes aside I have learned a few good lessons in the last few weeks.  I plan to gather all the information and inspiration I have come across and use it to my advantage.

My daughter, Annaliese.  She is always my first and foremost inspiration.  I want to do everything for her and better myself for her.  I, of course, want to accomplish my goals for myself as well, but she is my world and I'd do anything for her.

Here are some of my other recent inspirations:

Earlier this month while I was lost in the blogging abyss, I came across a catchy blog name of Tatter Scoops.  Maureen wrote a post titled 5 Reasons Why Being Fit Rocks.  She truthfully and jokingly stated how she no longer struggles to "hover" over public toilet seats anymore and how she is able to have a playful exercise with her son.  Seeing this post, I left her a sincere comment of how I admire her dedication.  Soon after reading my comment, she wrote another post with inspiration from ME titled My Five Fitness Motivations.  She is a single mom who works from home and wants to do everything in her power to be physically and mentally stronger for herself and her son.  She meets with a group of friends and attends a gym and has been doing Chalean Fitness routine.  She has also been sugar free since October (I couldn't do it, I love my sweets!) and has completed a carbohydrates free for 3 months!   Nothing is going to keep this girl down!  How can you not admire someone like Maureen?  Keep up the good work girl!  You look great!  Check out her current stats in her most recent post here.


My friend from high school Kyra, who in the last few months started writing at Nine Months, tells her story of always struggling with her weight.  She lost a good bit of weight in her early-mid 20's and since having her little bundle of joy in Sept 2011, Royce, she was the highest she had ever been in weight and has been determined to get the weight off again.  She has been measuring herself every week.  She started out with the Couch 2 5k walking/running 1-2 times a day, eating healthy, and doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.  I am inspired by her dedication being a work at home mom and still finding time for her job, family and work out time.  Keep going, Kyra!  You've done it before and you can do it again!


My sister-in-law Jenn, who is a beginner blogger, writes at Jenn I Am and is also a runner.  She has been in the Army reserves for over 10 years and has pretty much been in shape since deciding on her military career path.  In the last few years she has taken up running as a hobby and loves it.  She has done 5ks for charities (one of which I joined her on) and hopes to someday do a half marathon and maybe even a marathon.  I believe she can do it because she is determined enough!  She lives at home with her husband (Justin's brother) and their 4 dogs and a cat.  Life is busy between their daily Monday - Friday jobs, her Army life, chores, and attending to 4 dogs, but she still finds time to keep up with her hobbies and do the things she enjoys such as running, crafts and cooking.  I really admire this about her because there are things that I love to do and don't because I have made excuses that I don't have time, or I don't have energy.


Allie, who writes at A Couple. A Dog. A Baby. Their Blog. is a photographer and is able to be a work at home mom who loves to blog about her darling little boy and her husband.  Allie's husband has recently wanted to get on the train to lose weight and Allie, being the supportive wife that she is, has decided to join him.  They are both making healthier decisions in the kitchen and Allie has even provided a yummy recipe for us to try!  She is also doing the 30 Day Shred and posts pictures of her more defined muscles on Instagram. I am really amazed at how well this woman looks after having a baby.  There is no reason I can't push myself to do the same!

Jen, who writes at Runner Mom, is a mom to 4 kids and has a deep passion for running and photography.  She writes blog posts of how relaxed she is during a run and how inspired she is after a run.  A recent post titled A Thought For Every Mile expresses this.  She writes of how she ran a 10 mile run on a day that she didn't even really feel like running...but did it anyway.  Now that is dedication!  I want to be that way.  I want to push myself to do the things I love and do the things I want to do because I know the great feeling of reward will be there after it's all said and done.  Very inspiring, Jen!


Lastly another fellow blogger, Ado who writes at The Moma Log, told us of her amazing 7 year old daughter, Ella.  On the way home one day, Ella decided in the moment that she wanted to run the rest of the way home...and she did.  Please watch this short inspirational video (with a great song choice) of Ella, being young, free and finding her love for running.





I want to take a piece of all of these ladies and their stories with me on the road when I run, when I cook healthier, eat healthier and write more.  I will also think of you all when I walk across stage to get my college degree.  It's not about just running, or losing weight, or writing.  It's about accomplishing my goals.  I have gotten to the point in my life where I don't want to start over again, I want to keep going.  Maybe it's because I am months away from turning 30, but I'm not afraid of that number.  I just want to do what I want to do and have wanted to do.  Reading these blogs and hearing their stories is for me, like watching one of those movies that makes you want to get up and change the world.  I am getting up and changing me.

Thank you ladies, from the bottom of my heart.  It may not be much to you, but it means so much to me.

"No Day But Today"


12 comments:

  1. way to go, Mama! I'm proud of you. And...this post made me cry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Allie! I'm hoping that the tears you cried were happy tears :) Thank you for being proud of me! :) You're so sweet! <3

      Delete
  2. So sweet, Cassie!! It inspires me even more to know I had a part in inspiring someone else!! We're not alone in this, as you can tell from the blogs you've mentioned! (which I, myself am going to check out!!) and, I totally use Nike's slogan too! It's so cliche, but so perfect! Let's do it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did have a big part in my inspiration! Right about the time when I had my epiphany (or whatever you want to call it) is when you started your blog. It takes a brave person to show the world your vulnerabilities and insecurities, but you're doing a great job at moving towards your goal! Very inspiring! :) Oh and yes, please check out the blogs when you have a chance! It's worth it! Let's DO it!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you! I love your tattoo and your commitment to each day as a new day to be better! Please do keep blogging about your journey, I would love to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! You're too kind! I intend to keep blogging about my road to success :) It's very healing and with support from readers and friends like you, it's a bigger boost of reassurance that this is the right path for me! :) So thank you!

      Delete
  4. Awwww, you go girl!!! You can do it! So glad I could inspire you, and thanks for the sweet words.
    Can't wait to hear your updates of your progress. And a HUGE congrats to quitting smoking!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :) :) I am looking forward to getting to where you are someday...slowly but surely ;)

      Delete
  5. First of all thank you so much for the mention. You are doing really really well. Keep going and keep writing it will definitely help. The hardest part is always the first steps but soon you will start feeling how awesome it is. I am rooting for you from all the way across the ocean, girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Maureen! Thank you for the encouragement and support from across the ocean! :D

      Delete
  6. Yay! I'm so proud of you!! I'm not a good example, since I'm not very consistent with my exercising. But do keep in mind not to hurt yourself by starting off too vigorously. I've made that mistake too many times. My knees always hurt when I start running--but one needs to build up quad strength for running. Well, keep it up, and keep us posted on your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late...lol I am so sore, I think from yesterday and doing a high intense work out from www.bodyrock.tv . I think today is going to be my take off day cause tomorrow Justin and I are starting the gym. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time! :) Thank you for your dear support! :)

      Delete

Share the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...